Birth injuries are devastating. They can be physically, emotionally and financially overwhelming. The financial burden of a lifetime of care can be crushing to a family’s financial standing.
If a child’s injuries were the result of medical negligence on the part of a doctor, nurse or other healthcare professional tasked with care of the mother and child during birth, you may be entitled to compensation.
The Davie birth injury lawyers at Gordon & Doner understand the struggles that come with a birth injury. We can help you fight for fair compensation that can help ease the financial burdens of caring for a permanently injured child.
Schedule a free case review today by calling 1 (855) 722-2552.
Medical Negligence and Birth Injuries
In many cases a birth injury is the result of a doctor’s negligence and could have been prevented. In these cases, a family may be entitled to file a lawsuit to obtain appropriate damages.
Because these cases are often extremely complex, it is in your best interest to hire a reputable attorney with experience representing injury victims against negligent doctors and hospitals. Our Davie birth injury lawyers have decades of experience fighting for the rights of the injured throughout Broward County and all of South Florida.
In order to have a valid claim, your attorney must prove that negligence directly caused your child’s injuries. To prove this, our attorneys will demonstrate that the doctor’s actions fell below the standard of care established by the medical community.
Medical teams are responsible for monitoring and maintaining the health of a fetus or newborn baby throughout and after the birth process. It is their responsibility to handle any complications in an appropriate and timely manner. You may have a claim, if your medical team failed in these duties.
Some common causes of injuries during birth include:
- Delayed cesarean section – C-sections are often ordered if a child is under great distress. Malpractice can occur if the doctor fails to recognize the need for a C-section or makes the order too late, causing harm to the baby.
- Failure to prevent hypoxia – A doctor may be held liable for birth injuries resulting from the failure to detect and prevent hypoxia, in which a child’s brain does not receive enough oxygen because of a tangled umbilical cord, damaged placenta or other complication.
- Improper use of forceps – In instances where an infant has difficulty passing through the birth canal, doctors will use forceps to assist with the delivery to help reduce the stress on the child and to prevent oxygen deprivation. If too much force is used, the child could be seriously injured or left debilitated.
- Vacuum errors – Vacuums are also commonly used to help a child pass through the birth canal. It can suction to a baby’s head or shoulders to assist the baby. Incorrect use can lead to severe injuries or death.
Injuries can also be caused by poor monitoring of the fetus, poor communication between medical professionals, failure to address complications and failures to perform specific tests during pregnancy.
If any of these situations led to serious injuries or death of your newborn, you may have grounds to file a lawsuit. Our Davie birth injury lawyers will thoroughly investigate your claim to help you fight to obtain fair compensation for your child’s suffering.
Find out if you have a case. Complete a Free Case Evaluation form today.
Types of Injuries That Occur During Birth
Our Davie birth injury lawyers have seen a variety of birth injuries that require a lifetime of special medical treatment, long-term care, physical therapy and specialized schooling.
Some of the more common types of injuries include:
- Cerebral palsy
- Erb’s palsy
- Spinal cord damage
- Brain damage
- Bleeding in the brain
- Premature birth
- Should dystocia
- Prescription drug-related injuries
If you suspect that negligence played a role in your child’s injuries during childbirth, you deserve justice. Our Davie birth injury lawyers will help you fight for the compensation you deserve to help cover past and future medical expenses, loss of quality of life, pain and suffering, and other damages appropriate for your losses.
Contact Gordon & Doner today to learn more about your legal options. Call 1 (855) 722-2552.
Contact Our Davie Birth Injury Lawyers
At Gordon & Doner, we know the pain and devastation associated with these types of injuries. If your child was injured at birth, we can help you fight for what is rightfully owed to you for your suffering and financial struggles.
In Florida, there is limited time to file a lawsuit for personal injuries, so do not hesitate to contact our Davie birth injury lawyers to set up a free, no obligation consultation today. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means we are not paid unless you win.