The 4th of July long weekend means that many more families and friends will be traveling as well as boating. Unfortunately, this also means that the risk of being involved in a serious boating accident is much higher.
In order to prepare for the busy holiday weekend ahead, Gordon & Doner would like to remind everyone to boat safely and consider the following tips.
- Drivers should avoid consuming alcohol. Anyone who has drank excessively should not be permitted to drive the boat.
- Never drive a boat without a proper license. If you are a passenger on a boat, make sure the driver has a proper license and is experienced in driving a boat.
- Always wear a life jacket. Children should always be equipped with life jackets that fit properly.
- Be weather wise. Check local weather conditions before you depart and if you notice bad weather coming your way play it safe and get out of the water.
- Develop an emergency plan and make sure you and your passengers discuss what to do if a dangerous situation arises.
According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, in 2013, there were more than 700 accidents reported in the state. Miami-Dade County reported the highest number of accidents and injuries; four of the accidents were fatal.
The leading cause of death in fatal boating accidents was drowning with most of the fatalities attributed to victims falling overboard.
Boating is a great way to enjoy the holiday weekend, but its extremely important that everyone safely enjoy the time.
If you or someone you know is injured in a boating accident, contact our personal injury lawyer s at 1 (855) 722-2552. We can help you determine what your legal rights are and if you're eligible for compensation.