Many motorcycle accidents happen when a motorist does not see a motorcycle in his or her blind spot. Both drivers should know where blind spots are and how to stay safe. However, if an accident does happen, it is important to seek the services of a lawyer for help.
If you sustained an injury caused by a blind spot motorcycle accident, it is crucial to contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in West Palm Beach to review your case. At Gordon & Partners, we can guide you through the entire claims process and answer any questions you may have. Below are several things motorists and motorcyclists can do to avoid these types of collisions.
Identifying Blind Spots
It is important to identify blind spots when getting into a vehicle. You can gauge where blind spots are in a vehicle by sitting and looking over your shoulder and comparing that to what you cannot see in your mirrors. Many blind spots are in the front sides and in the back of passenger vehicles.
Blind spots can be especially dangerous for motorcycles because these vehicles are smaller and less visible to other drivers on the road. Whenever possible, you should avoid traveling in a blind spot, change lanes if necessary.
Staying Safe from Blind Spot Motorcycle Accidents
There are several things motorists and motorcyclists can do to reduce the risk of being involved in a blind spot motorcycle accident.
Drivers need to be cautious when motorcyclists are around. Motorcyclists should not drive between two lanes or weave in and out of traffic. They should also avoid riding close to the front of the vehicle where they are not visible in the driver’s side mirror. If you cannot see the motorist’s reflection in the side mirror, you are likely in a blind spot.
Tips for Drivers
To avoid an accident with a motorcycle, motorists should adhere to the following tips:
- Properly adjust all mirrors to increase visibility around your vehicle
- Look before turning, changing lanes or passing other cars, this includes checking your mirrors and looking over your shoulder
- Avoid driving while distracted so you will stay aware of your surroundings
Tips for Motorcyclists
Motorcyclists may be able to prevent an accident by following these tips:
- Stay out of the blind spots when possible
- Leave space between yourself and other vehicles – 20 feet of space gives you a lot of time to quickly stop or slow down
- Use clear signals to indicate your intention to turn or pass other vehicles
- Wear bright colors for increased visibility
- Use appropriate hand signals along with turn signals
- Tap brakes when slowing or stopping
- Use high beams when necessary
- Use your horn if necessary to make your presence known
Consult a Skilled motorcycle accident attorney
If you were injured in a blind spot motorcycle accident, it is important that you seek the assistance of a skilled West Palm Beach personal injury attorney at Gordon & Partners. We understand your pain and distress, and we are here to help you seek a comprehensive legal solution.
Schedule a free, no obligation consultation to determine if you have a valid claim against the at-fault party. All of our attorneys work on contingency, which means there are no upfront costs involved. You only pay us if we help you recover adequate compensation.
Contact us today at 1 (855) 722-2552 for a free case evaluation.