From a statistical standpoint, riding a motorcycle in the United States has never been safer. Unfortunately, however, motorcycle accident injuries and fatalities still account for a significant percentage of all motor vehicle collision injuries and fatalities today. The motorcycle safety evolution has come a long way since the late 1880s when the first motorcycle was invented. As the years have passed, greater safety measures have led to a reduction in the number of traffic crashes and injuries related to motorcycle use.
The state of Florida is home to some of the most avid riders and experienced motorcyclists. Unfortunately, the Sunshine State still ranks amongst those with the highest number of motorcycle accidents. As more and more motorcyclists enter the roadways, the likelihood of a crash increases tremendously. Operators of passenger vehicles must be aware of their presence on the roads and highways in order to avoid a traffic collision. Sadly, far too many motorists are unaware of quickly maneuvering bikes that tend to weave in and out of traffic.
Gordon & Doner has proudly provided legal representation to victims of motorcycle collisions for many, many years. As such, our skilled personal injury attorneys understand how overwhelming the days following any kind of traffic accident may be. With this in mind, our legal staff makes every effort to make this difficult time as tolerable as possible. We work diligently to handle each and every aspect of the litigation to ensure that our clients can focus on recovery. If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident in Florida, Gordon & Doner is here to help.
For more information, please complete a Free Case Review form on this page.
Motorcycle Safety Evolution
The “typical” motorcycle rider today is not so typical. In fact, research reveals that the demographic group of motorcyclists in the United States today covers almost every walk of life. As the age of the average rider has increased and more and more women have begun to ride motorcycles, the profile of the most likely crash victim has changed significantly. Today, motorcycle riders account for all ages, both males and females, and those located all throughout the country.
Understanding the motorcycle safety evolution helps to paint a picture about the current state of motorcycle safety in regard to where it has been since their inception. The following timeline outlines the motorcycle safety evolution:
- 1885: first motorcycle invented for use
- 1903: Founding of Harley-Davidson Motor Company
- 1928: Harley-Davidson provides the first ever front-wheel brakes and much skepticism follows
- 1939: Flashing turning signals are introduced
- 1945: Registered motorcycles in the U.S. reaches 198,000
- 1949: Honda’s first motorcycle is built
- 1952: Hydraulic brakes on motorcycles
- 1953: the University of Southern California (USC) patents first protective helmet
- 1955: Registered motorcycles in the U.S. reaches 450,000
- 1957: helmet performance standards are created
- 1958: helmets are worn by California Highway Patrol motorcycle officers
- 1958: Registered motorcycles in the U.S. reaches 500,000
- 1959: Yamaha manufacturer releases Japanese motorcycle into the U.S. market
- 1962: Registered motorcycles in the U.S. reaches 646,000
- 1965: Registered motorcycles in the U.S. reaches 1.4 million
- 1966: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards are established
- 1970: Registered motorcycles in the U.S. reaches 2.8 million
- 1975: Registered motorcycles in the U.S. reaches 5 million
- 1980: motorcycle fatalities in the U.S. reach a new peak
- 1980: International Motorcycle Safety Conference is established
- 1984: Registered motorcycles in the U.S. reaches 5.4 million
- 1991: Anti-lock brakes introduced to motorcycles
- 1997: National Agenda for Motorcycle Safety is established by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- 2010: 21 states and the District of Columbia have statewide helmet laws
Motorcycle riders are placed at the greatest risk when they are not wearing a helmet. As the motorcycle safety evolution timeline shows, the popularity of motorcycles has increasingly grown since their introduction to the United States. Florida has always been known for beautiful weather and roads that lend themselves to great rides. As such, travelers from near and far choose to ride their motorcycles throughout Florida. If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for the losses that you have suffered.
Contact a Skilled Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
With a track record of winning MILLIONS of dollars in past verdicts and settlements , the skilled personal injury attorneys at Gordon & Doner have built a reputation throughout the state of Florida. In our pursuit of justice for all injured accident victims, we work tirelessly to build a case that places our clients in the best position to win the maximum compensation possible.
When the negligence of another driver harms you or a loved one, they must be held accountable for their careless action. Our experienced legal team is located in our three offices in Palm Beach Gardens, Stuart, and Davie.
To speak with an attorney today, please fill out a Free Case Review form on this page.