Philips CPAP Lawsuit
Millions of Philips sleep apnea machines and ventilators have been linked to an increased risk of cancer and have been voluntarily recalled in the U.S. Our firm is currently reviewing potential Philips CPAP lawsuits from people who used one of the recalled devices and have been diagnosed with lung cancer or serious health issues. Those considering legal action may be eligible for compensation.
A defective medical device attorney at Gordon & Partners is prepared to review your situation and discuss the legal options available to you during a free consultation. There is no risk in calling us and no obligation after this meeting to retain our services. We have over two decades of experience obtaining millions in compensation for our clients. Founder Robert Gordon is a Board-Certified Civil Trial lawyer.
No Upfront Fees Involved. Ph: 1 (855) 722-2552
Am I Eligible to File a Case?
Our firm is here to determine your eligibility in a free case evaluation. You may have grounds to take legal action if you used one of these dangerous and defective devices:
- Philips CPAP machine
- Philips Bi-level PAP machine
- Philips mechanical ventilator
There are also factors unique to your situation that will be taken into consideration, such as your diagnosis, how frequent the sleep apnea machine or ventilator was used, and if you knew of the potential risks of using this device. Other things our legal team may ask include:
- Why you decided to use this device compared to other sleep apnea machines
- Whether you have been diagnosed with lung cancer by a doctor and treatments issued
- If you have been using an alternative machine or ventilator identified by your doctor
- If you had to keep using the recalled device because alternatives were not available
- Hospitalization required due to serious health issues from using the device
- Other damages suffered (i.e. physical, emotional and financial)
Defective medical device cases can be complex and there are certain deadlines to take legal action. That is why we recommend consulting with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible. Learn how we may be able to help you today.
Damages in a Philips CPAP Lawsuit
If you have a valid case, our legal team is prepared to help pursue full compensation for your damages. Damages potentially available in a Philips CPAP lawsuit may include:
- Compensation for past, current and future medical treatments associated with your lung cancer diagnosis or another serious health issue caused by the defective breathing device
- Compensation to make up for lost income due to missing work to treat your illness or injury
- Compensation for lost future income if your illness or injury prevents you from working
- Compensation to make up for pain and suffering associated with your cancer or condition
At Gordon & Partners, we have the knowledge and resources to conduct a detailed investigation into your case to assess the value of your damages. We have been helping seek the maximum compensation possible on behalf of injury victims for more than 25 years. We are ready to use medical experts to help determine the extent and severity of your condition and how it has impacted your life and livelihood.
Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer
Medical device companies and their teams of attorneys are prepared to fight you every step of the way if you decide to take legal action. You risk not recovering full compensation without quality legal representation. You need a law firm that knows how to hold large corporations liable for injuries to consumers.
Gordon & Partners has secured millions from large corporations, and we have the resources and legal knowledge to build strong cases on behalf of injured consumers.
There are several steps we are ready to take on your behalf, including:
- Investigating if anyone else has been harmed by the device
- Researching all safety and testing reports related to the device
- Reviewing your medical records and history
- Speaking with medical professionals in charge of your care
- Negotiating for fair and just compensation
There are no upfront fees and no fees while working on your Philips CPAP lawsuit.
Gordon & Partners. Licensed Lawyers. 1 (855) 722-2552.
Recall Issued Due to Cancer Risk
Many people use continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines and ventilators to help battle sleep apnea. This is a condition that causes abnormal breathing during sleep and can cause various health issues if not treated. Philips is one of several companies that manufacture sleep apnea and ventilator devices.
In June 2021, Philips issued a recall of CPAP machines and mechanical ventilators, warning that a product defect may put users at risk of developing lung cancer. The recall notification came more than a month after the multinational health technology company noted a quality issue in certain devices.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration also noted that the intent of the recall was to mitigate potential health risks associated with the sound abatement foam used in these devices.
Foam in Recalled Devices Toxic
The purpose of the foam is to reduce noise in sleep apnea machines and ventilators. However, the foam is made up of polyester-based polyurethane, which can degrade into particles and make its way into the device’s air pathway. These particles can be harmful or even toxic.
Philips was alerted to the potential danger in April 2021. Inhaling or ingesting these particles can cause lung cancer and other dangerous side effects, such as kidney and liver damage and respiratory issues.
Being exposed to the degraded foam may also cause:
- Skin irritation
High levels of heat and humidity can cause the foam in these devices to degrade faster.
While Philips has recommended discontinuing the use of its CPAP machines, those using life-sustaining ventilators should not stop or alter their prescribed therapy until they have spoken with their doctor.
Philips CPAP Injury Lawsuits
Philips may be facing numerous lawsuits filed by people who have been diagnosed with lung cancer or experienced serious health effects after using Philips CPAP, Bi-level PAP or mechanical ventilators.
One complaint has already been filed in Massachusetts federal court. Some claims former users of these devices may make in lawsuits against Philips over the damages they have suffered include:
- Knowing the devices were defective and not making them safer
- Failing to provide any warning about the possible risks of using these devices
- Failing to issue a recall sooner after being aware of the devices’ quality issues
- Marketing and selling these devices as safe, healthy and effective for use
- Concealing the dangerous health effects of the foam used in these devices
Call Gordon & Partners for a Free Consultation
Our attorneys at Gordon & Partners are currently reviewing potential Philips CPAP lawsuits. If you or a loved one have developed lung cancer or another health issue after using a CPAP, Bi-level PAP or mechanical ventilator for sleep apnea, you may be eligible for compensation.
Philips and other medical device manufacturers should be held legally responsible for exposing users to unnecessary risks and causing harm. Our firm may be able to file a claim on your behalf to seek compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, future loss of income, and pain and suffering.
We are available to take your call anytime, 24/7. An initial consultation is completely free and confidential. You are not obligated to take legal action, but if you do, we charge no upfront fees.